Monday, July 15, 2013

Two Months and Time Is Flying By!!

I truly can't believe that Ironman is only two months away. The weeks just seem to be FLYING by!  I do vividly remember waiting in line with Alison to register.  That seems like forever and a day ago. 

Training has been pretty solid although I am in a state of perpetual fatigue ... Not a shock at this point as everything is really ramping up and really will continue to do so for the next 5-6 weeks ... Then the beloved (some call it dreaded) taper begins.  I am excited for it as I know that all of the hard work I have put in, will be utilized soon :-).  

Now that the race is coming up, people keep asking me at what time will I finish? Do I have an answer ... Yes, do I want to share the answer ... Sure. Hey, in the perfect world, I would love to finish in the 13:XX hour range ... Is that a pipe dream?  It could be.  Thinking that the 14:XX range is more realistic, and who knows a time of 15:XX may be what she writes that day, but we will have to see. I do know this, if I don't have a cup of coffee in both transitions (swim to bike and bike to run), I should be able to crack 16 hours.  If you don't already know, I am not fast, I haven't ever claimed to be ... I will never earn a spot to Kona based on my speed and I am perfectly happy with that ... I have had friends/acquaintances  tell me that I could be faster, and maybe I could be, but how would I be able to give all of you that will be out there to support me and the others racing that day, a big sweaty hug on the run if I was speedy?    And believe me, there will be sweaty hugs given!!!  I always have to remember this, no matter what time I finish, as long as it's before midnight, I will still be an Ironman :-). 

This past week, I rode the course for the first time in three years with Alison. I forgot how absolutely breathtakingly beautiful it was. Don't get me wrong, it was still hard, but the sheer beauty of it, is simply amazing. I always wonder, do the fasty's appreciate the beauty of the course. I really hope they do as it is just incredible! I did learn this on while on the ride ... It is a lot more fun to ride up Timber Lane when there are a 1,000+ people cheering everyone on :-).  We did have as much fun as one could have on the course and finished it out with a quick stop at Candinas Cholocates and then breakfast at Hubbard Avenue Diner. So, a great morning overall!!!  

Sidebar note:  We were able to make it up to the cabin over the weekend so that was great. Nothing like pure relaxation at its finest.  The majority of B's family was up, and that was really nice. We had a perfect weather day, and just all around fun. Those are the memories that I hold close to my heart!  And as always, we have had a great time with our neighbors and new friends on the lake. Really just fun and incredible people all around! 

Back to training.  Sunday morning, I probably had one of my best runs ever. Not because it was crazy fast, not because I hit all of the goals set out for me during the run ... I ran alone (which I never do) and I, for maybe the first time, absolutely LOVED it!  Could it have been the tranquility of the northwoods in the morning or being able to see the sun rise between the trees (photo attached), could it have been the sounds of the birds singing away?  ... Not sure exactly what, but it was so peaceful that I could have just kept on going. What a great feeling and I'm so happy that I was able to experience it.  I do know that when I get back to reality,, I will love to have the time running with the running buds again.  It is always so nice to spend time with them and hear about what is going on in their lives.  They truly are gifts in my life :-). 

Today, is a schwimmy in the lake.  Going to be another beautiful day out and the water feels pretty perfect, so I'm looking forward to it!  

Tomorrow, after a short bike and run and some time spent on the lake, we will be back to reality and the hustle and bustle of life. I have really come to appreciate this down time as I have time to read, take walks, enjoy the family time, as well as the quiet time up here.  I crave it and when we leave, can't wait to come back up!! 

I hope you have all had an awesome weekend.  Sorry the post didn't make it until this morning but the service is sketchy up here and we have spent most of our time at home base out on the lake :-).  Enjoy your Monday and remember, life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!! Until next Sunday after Racine 70.3 :-). 


1 comment:

  1. You mean you'll be an Ironman AGAIN! Great to hear you were able to run the 9 by yourself. Even though you'll be running with 1899 other people on race day, you may actually be running by yourself, so you need those types of training days. Too bad IM isn't in Eagle River;) Enjoy your last couple of days up there. Love you.

    ReplyDelete