Tuesday, August 27, 2013

12 Days, Taper, Tracking and Other Schtuff ...

Well, with less than two weeks until the big day (just 12 days), I believe I am ready ... One doesn't ever know for sure, but I believe I have put in the necessary work to get me to THE finish line on race day.  I was able to accomplish my last longish ride, which was sidelined to feeling like poop towards the end of this past week. 

I have learned many things about my body over the last 9-ish months and, I think, have figured out how to balance things better and when I am starting to get sick. Resting the body instead of trying to push through is my best bet. This past week and for the first time this year, I did not end up with bronchitis and pneumonia ... I believe, partially due to me being smarter about it and part of it being modern medicine that has helped keep my asthma/allergies under control ... And if I decide to embark on another ironman again, then I will have better knowledge of myself, my body and what it can and can't do. 

The taper has been pretty awesome, besides being CRAZY tired and hungry ALL THE TIME ... Fortunately, we are spending 10 days up at the cabin in the peacefulness of the northwoods :-).  The extra bonus is that I can spend it with 3 of the most important people in my life.  I have been able to sleep in, wake up naturally without worrying about what is happening at work or what needs to be taken care of at home. The training is getting done, although my run on Sunday was terrible. I know better than this, but thought it was a great idea at the time ... Made a big breakfast for myself, then went for a run. The breaky almost ended up on the road. Quick and fairly easy reminder. Nothing like having to have your husband come pick you up off the side of the road and bring you home to regroup. I came home, took in some fluids and managed to limp through the rest of it. 

I am happy to say that, training wise, there isn't anything to crazy lined up for the next 11 days ... Feels good to not have to block off huge chunks of time  or completely rearrange everything that I do based on what my training day is like ... Now, that the volume is lower, this is the time when I (and I'm sure many athletes) start to question: Have I done enough, will I be smart enough on race day, will I be able to finish and accomplish my goals???  I just have to keep the faith and not worry about what I can't control.  The day will all work out as it's supposed to ... Well, at least that's how I am feeling today :-). 

I did have the pleasure of tracking several friends on Sunday at Ironman Louisville and Ironman Canada. So fun to see where they are all at, how they are doing and cheering them on from afar. I had my nose in my phone almost the whole day ... Between checking in on people, texting friends to see if they knew where they were at, it was a long day ;-).  I am so happy and proud to say that my friend Terry completed his first Ironman in Louisville on Sunday. Simply incredible. It has been fun to watch him transform and accomplish his goals over the past 9 months. And also, huge props to my friend Megan, who completed her first Ironman in Canada yesterday too!  Man, she is a fasty!!  Another big props go to my friend Jim, who did Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Louisville in less than a month. Holy crap!!  Impressive stuff!!  Also congrats to Kitty, Brenda and Bruce a/k/a Lite Jazz on their accomplishment at Louisville as well :-). Have to also give a big shout out to my friend Jodi.  Although, she did not finish the race due to a stress fracture in her foot, she gave it 110% out there yesterday and am so proud of her :-). 

For those of you that have been asking, I did rent a GPS tracking system for race day. It is pretty simple to use and if you have an android smart phone or an iPhone, they offer a free app so you can track me on race day when you are out on the course or elsewhere. You can also track from a laptop, desktop, kindle fire or iPad too :-). Here is the link to the website ... The actual Ironman Wisconsin race won't show up until the week of the race, but you will be prepared ;-). 

www.myathletelive.com. 

Go to upcoming events and you click on the app to download ... It's free :-). You can track directly from the website as well.

I will send out more info race week as to where are good spectator spots and where I think I will be at certain times (depending on weather and how I am feeling that day, those times are estimates, but if you have the app and are out on the course, it'll be a lot easier :-). And if you see some Effcansah shirts on the course, talk to them, get to know them and enjoy the day as spectators together.  it is incredible out there!!  also, pick people's brains as to where good spectator spots are as well.  I may miss some, but plan on getting an email race week with more info :-). 

Speaking of Effcansah ... Thanks so much to everyone that has purchased shirts!!! 74 were sold!!!  As soon as all are distributed and calculations have been made, I will let you know the total $$$ that will go to Dr. Mark Burkard and his breast cancer research. Again, if you are in the Madison area and chose local pickup, I will be at Fleet Feet Madison on Old Sauk road on Tuesday, September 3rd from 5:30-7:30pm. And if you are in the Janesville area and chose local pickup, I will be at the Janesville Athletic Club on Blackbridge Road on Thursday, September 5th from 5:30-7:30pm. 

If you are so inclined, my friend Jacque is teaching an Ironman themed spin ride on Tuesday, September 3rd at 5:30am ... Sign up on Saturday or Sunday of this week ... And if you ordered a shirt, I can get it to you then.  If not, just come for the fun!!!!!!  

I hope you have all had a great day and are staying cool!!!  And remember ... Life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!!  I'll be back on Sunday :-). Love to all!!!!  


1 comment:

  1. I actually had a dream the other night that I was finishing an Ironman....must be all the great updates you give for your training. The saying goes, "you get out what you put in" and you my dear have put it all in. SO, I can say with great certainty that you will kick ass out on that course. Remember, if your plan is going to crap, readjust, and make a new plan. You will no doubt cross that finish line and I know you'll have a smile on your face as you do....and I think that is your ultimate goal. Great job over the past few months. So proud of you and can't wait to support you out on the course. Hugs and cheers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete