Monday, September 2, 2013

Six Days, Inspiration, Angels, Canciversary and Thanks ...

Race day is just 6 days away!!!!  So excited and nervous at the same time. I am really looking forward to this upcoming week, the final preparations, meeting new friends, the big day in my home town and seeing everyone out there!!!!!  The training is done ... Or at least I am pretty sure it is.  Not much I can do about it now right?  I've put the time in, now I just have to believe in a successful race day ... Think good weather thoughts for Sunday!!!  

Inspiration:  I called my friend Molly this past Tuesday night and had a question for her ... Could I please do Ironman in her honor and acknowledge her fighting spirit and determination?  She, fortunately, said yes :-).  A little background on my friend Molly. We met about 3 years ago at the Race for the Cure in Madison. Prior to us meeting, several people said that there was a woman who was recently diagnosed that I HAD to meet. Her name was Molly ... I kept hearing her name over and over ... Well, you all know me and how shy I am ... NOT ;-). I had to meet her. As soon as we met, I knew we would hit it off and am so blessed with her friendship.  

Molly is currently fighting stage 4 breast cancer and is a wonderful wife, mother to 3 young children and a serious fighter!!!  She even has her own army - MOLLY'S ARMY :-).  She will be on my calf and joining me for the 14-16 hour day on Sunday :-).  (The picture in this post is one of Molly and me at Ironman 2010). 

Besides Molly, I have a lot of inspiration for the day. On my forearm will be three names: my husband Brendon, my son Jack and my daughter Parker.  They are my biggest fans and supporters and I am the luckiest lady in the world to have them in my life. When I need that little burst of encouragement, they will be right there with me. 

All of the survivors that are out there. This race is for all of you too!!!  Thinking of everyone I know that is a cancer survivor brings tears to my eyes as I type this. Partially because I am so happy that they are survivors, partially because I am upset that I know WAY too many people that have been diagnosed with cancer. I wish no one would ever have to hear those words. 

Angels:  On my left shoulder will be my friend Max, who passed away on Halloween, 2012. He has made an incredible impact on me and was a dear friend that I miss EVERY.DAY.  He will be one of the angels that will guide me on race day. On my right shoulder will be my friend Synthia's mom's Barb, who just passed away a little over a week ago ... She will be the other angel guiding me on Sunday and will also become an Ironman with me that day. 

Me:  I will also be racing to celebrate my 5 year canciversary.  At times it feels like it was just yesterday when I got that phone call and others, it seems like forever ago.  I do know that this day will celebrate me kicking cancer's a$$ yet another day!!!!

Thanks: Big shout out to the running buds :-). Lisa, Lesley, Laura, Sherri, Kathi and Deb ... Love you ladies to pieces and I am so appreciative of all the miles you have endured with me over the last 9ish months!!! 

My friends Alison (who is doing Ironman as well), Jacque, Lyndsey and Synthia for logging lots and lots of miles on the bike :-). It is amazing where you can all go on two wheels - although I couldn't tell you how to get to any of those places via bike as I get lost in a cardboard box :-).  

And thanks to my hubcap who was always ready to get in that kayak and paddle along next to me while I swam, keeping me safe in the lake :-). 

These last 5 days before the race will be busy, fun and exciting. A lot to still do to make the final preparations. Shirts have either been mailed or are in my hands for pick up :-). I will be sending out an email and will post info here in the next day or two with all the tracking information and where good spectator spots will be!  

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I appreciate it more than you could ever know!!!  Hope you all had a wonderful long weekend and remember ... Life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!!  Be back in a couple of days.  Love to all!!!!  



3 comments:

  1. Go get it, Michele! We'll be cheering for you from Kuala Lumpur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, when I moved back to WI last year, going back and forth trying to decide which club to teach at. If for no other reason than for having met you, I am SO glad I chose JAC! I'm equally grateful JAC afforded me the opportunity! Today I prayed for you regarding your upcoming Ironman this Sunday! You will do great and I'm so encouraged by you! Rock it out girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly would say you are "nervicited":) If only we could bottle that adrenaline and sell it. We'd be rich, I tell ya, rich! I'd be worried about you if you weren't nervous. It just means you care. Looking forward to catching you in action next weekend, maybe run up a hill with you or down a stretch of the run course. Whatever you need, I'll be happy to "help";) So proud of you for all the miles you logged and for your courage to stand up to cancer and give it a what for! Cheers to you my dear friend and happy trails:)

    ReplyDelete