Monday, May 27, 2013

The Cabin and Training ...

Well, this was the first summer weekend at the cabin.  It was incredible!  I am always able to find peace when I am up in the Northwoods ... However, coming back home to reality is always a challenge.  The good thing about the cabin, is that it will always be waiting for us and we will be up there most weekends this summer to enjoy it.  It's a great place to take a step back and really appreciate everything that I am blessed with in my life.  It also gives me clarity about what is important, what I value, and who I want in my life.  I have found, that when we get sucked into the hustle and bustle of life, we sometimes forget what is important, what is good and what we need to appreciate from this gift of life that we have been given.  The cabin is always the perfect place to bring me back to where I need to be.  

One of the so many great examples I could give as to why I love it up here so much ... Last night we had a bonfire with 14 people (adults and children).  We all hung out by the fire,  talking, telling stories, laughing, listening to music and  spending time together. No electronics to distract anyone, just the best company.  

We are blessed with wonderful neighbors and friends that live on our lake and friends that live close by who are genuinely good people. There is no ulterior motive as to why they want to know you, they don't care what you do for a living, how much money you make or don't make or what you are training for (if anything). They are kind and giving people and really fun to be around. How can it get any better than that?  I don't think it can. 

The training aspect and the time spent at the cabin may prove to be a bit of a challenge over the next months.  It's so relaxing up here ... That it, at times, creates a bit of a mojo killer.  I can't let that happen.  With summer approaching and training amping up, my training schedule and work schedule will be changing a bit, so  I know, that I will need to be extremely organized when it comes to family time and training.  Family comes first, training second ... But if I would like to do well (for me) on Ironman race day, I need to make sure that training is still a definite priority. 

I am extremely fortunate to have friends who are also awesome training partners that are willing to ride, run and swim at the a$$crack of dawn with me.  We help each other, push each other, keeping each other company and solving some of the worlds problems too ;-).  My goal and focus this summer will be to get my training in during the week so I can relax most of the weekend. When we are up north, I will take advantage of the open water swims that are just a few short steps from the house (see the attached picture of the view of the lake from the pier), and I'll make a point to get out on the  beautiful northwoods streets to run. The scenery is just breathtaking. 

There are only 14 weeks and 6 days left until race day ... Thanks again for coming along on this ride with me. It truly means a lot.  I do hope you have all had a wonderful long weekend with family and friends ... And remember ... Life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!! Until next Sunday!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment