Monday, February 18, 2013

Success, the "New Me" and a Proud Parent Moment...

Well, this past week, was a successful, but tiring training week. Goal number 1 was accomplished! All my training sessions that Blake had planned out for me were completed including the swims :-) Yay me!! I am SOOOOO happy that this is a recovery week. This chica is exhausted. Even more happy because I have, not one, but TWO, yes TWO, rest days! Whoo hoo!!!

Goal number 2 was remotely successful. Just too much work to do at the club and a lot of "to do's" in the planner to take the time to ACTUALLY find that time that I was really hoping to get. I DID make it to Jacque's yoga class, so that was definitely a good thing...She always gets me to that calm and centered place, even if it's just for a little while :-). And on Thursday night, I was able to spend some time with Lisa, Lesley and Sue to laugh a lot and enjoy a glass of wine or two ;-). I have some fun and not too packed days planned for the upcoming recovery week and, as a whole, training will be easier to fit in :-). So, light work lighter training schedule, relaxation, and peace...here I come!!! Fingers crossed that no one gets sick or has to have surgery ;-).

Onto thoughts about the "new me". I went to the pool on Wednesday, and got my swim on (love it when I feel like a real swimmer in the water). After I got out of the water and made it into the locker room, I was making small talk with another woman in there. As I am changing to get out of my suit and into my warm cozy clothes for the ride home, I see her catch a glimpse of the "new me". Well, if her eyes could have popped out of her head they would have and if her jaw could have hit the floor, it would have as well. Yes, I guess, it can be a bit shocking if you aren't expecting it ... and I'm not going to give a warning, as that could be more awkward ;-). It's not hard to describe, but it can be hard to visualize and really soak it in until you see it first hand (insert description here - think of completely flat chest with no nipples and scars across where each breast should be...not super pretty, but it is what it is). My response to her, was just a big smile and "Have a great swim. The water felt amazing today."

With all of the different breast sizes I have had or "shapes" I have had in the last 28 years, and believe me, there have been many. This one, by far, is the one that I am the most proud of and comfortable with. It is now the authentic me and, TODAY, I am happy with the "new me" and how strong I have become over these past 4.5 years. It's taken quite a while to get to this place, but I made it, and I think it's pretty awesome. I KNOW, that some people think that my latest decision was crazy and why wouldn't I just get the implants replaced (yes, these are things that people feel the need to share). I have come to the conclusion, that if others don't like my decision, it isn't my problem, it is their own. Several others have also asked why I wouldn't wear the prosthetics...my response, "Why would I? They really just get in the way and feel like I am trying to be something that I'm not." At this point in my life, I rely less on what others think of me and if people "like" me. It's always nice when they do but, I NEED TO LIKE ME, and that is what counts most. This can be a hard thing to change after being a people pleaser for most of my 44 years, but it can be done. So, the confident "boobless wonder" will be in the house from here on out and if you don't like or appreciate her, then so be it ;-).

Speaking of this new shape that I now have, I am going to get some photographs done in the next month that are similar to the ones that you can see at www.thescarproject.org (the photos are beautiful and show some amazingly strong women), but with more of an athletic/triathlete focus, so that should be exciting! Whether I share them with anyone or not hasn't been decided, but, it's something that I really want to do...I'll keep you posted on that little adventure.

And a totally random, but a proud parent moment from the weekend. Both Jack ("The Professor" - as his English teacher calls him) and Parker (Sparky) were in the local children's theater production of The Emperor's Birthday Suit as Emperor Augustus and Seamstress Annabelle. They both did an amazing job and I give them such credit for having the guts to get up in front of all of those people and act their hearts out!!! It is incredible to see both of my kiddo's comfortable up on stage :-). I have attached a photo of my two thespians!!

So, here is to an amazing week ahead!! May it be filled with some fun and adventure. And remember, life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!! Until next Sunday!!!



2 comments:

  1. And being you is just what I like. I know you WILL share those photos with me though, right;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in a place where you are happy with yourself is magic! and RARE!
    Your kids are as awesome as you are ;)

    Robin

    ReplyDelete