Monday, February 25, 2013

A Sickie...Again...and Priorities...

So...the recovery week started out well, then in a blink of an eye, the punky feeling set in again. Wednesday's run went ok, but chest felt tight and the body just didn't have that kick that it normally does. By Friday, I was miserable...went to swim, got done what I could but the wheezing was terrible. Rode the spin bike. Heart rate was high for the effort, then ran for 10 minutes. I was spent. Fortunately, I was able to get into my doc at 12:45 that afternoon. Gotta love UW Health :-). Back to Madison I went (I love going there, so there isn't ever any complaining on my part). Before my appointment, I was able to meet a friend for some amazing Mexican food (lunch with friends are the best), then off to see doc Steffen. Well, the spirometry test was hilariously bad, the chest x-ray showed that I was still not well...I do think its humorous when she says...lets just make sure nothing "funny" is going on there. Gotta love being a post cancer patient. I go back in a month and we are thinking that pulmonologist and allergist appointments are in my future. Good times.

Next stop was the Target pharmacy. Charlie, the pharmacist, brought out my bag o' drugs and said, "Wow, you aren't feeling well huh?" Left with albuterol for my nebulizer, ADVAIR 500/50, steroids and a uber powerful antibiotic. Let's hope that this REALLY does the trick..AND let's bring on the warm air and sunshine so I can get this gross recycled sick air out of my house!!!!

So, no training for the rest of the weekend per Coach Blake. He is probably wondering if I am ever healthy. I will get there :-). I do have the energy with all of these steroids, but can't do any training...I guess it's time to get stuff done around the house!!! That, at least, has been productive :-). B will be happy when he comes back from the cabin with dinner in the crock pot, a clean house, dirty clothes washed, folded and put away, the grocery shopping is done for the week, and the pantry cleaned out. :-). A win, win for me.

It's at times like this, that I sit back and think about family, life, work and training. It can be hard to stay focused on what is important, what we need to be doing and what we really want out of life. Distractions are a part of life and we all have so many things pulling us in a million different directions and its's hard not to get caught up in all of it...And I am certainly not immune to it. But, when I do get sick or need to take a step back, it helps to ground me and make me conscious about what my purpose is and what is best for me in my life with my family, friends, work and training.

One of the goals that I wrote down when I joined Team BBMC was to keep my family as happy as possible during this time...the hours will become long, I will be tired and the training will be a big focus especially once I get into the "meat" of the plan for this big day. Fortunately, Brendon has done ironman before, so he knows what is needed to get done to reach those goals. We did make an agreement, that once the weekend trips up to the cabin become more frequent this summer, family time will take priority. No long bike rides (as in 2-6 hours) while we are up there (I am lucky that I have a flexible work schedule, so I can do those during the week if I know we are going to be away over the weekend). I am also fortunate to have a place on a lake 50 yards from my house to get the swim done early in the morning before anyone gets up, and runs can be done early as well. We will definitely still have time for lazy afternoons on the pontoon boat with stops at the sandbar to hang out with the new friends we have made up there, and campfires at the fire pit to end the day. Can't wait for those days...it is a dream come true and I love the peacefulness of the northwoods. Attaching a picture of sunset from the pontoon boat from last summer to give you a little idea as to what this little slice of heaven looks like.

So...here is to breathing easier, good health and loving life and living it to it's fullest. Enjoy the ride of life, it's a great adventure and not one to take for granted. And thanks so much for taking the time to read my silly little blog :-). It really does mean a lot to me!! Until next Sunday :-)

2 comments:

  1. Snap! I wanna be on that sandbar at sunset!
    Go AWAY sickness and come on spring!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me that you have a spotter when you swim in the lake and please make sure B knows your exact route when running up there if you go by yourself. I worry.
    That's an amazing photo of the sunset. Ahhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete