Monday, March 25, 2013

April Challenge Marky Mark...

So, as April begins (23 weeks until Ironman), my coach Blake created this challenge for all of his athletes:

For the month of April I want each of you to think of TWO things that you would like to do differently. Sometimes it's a bad habit relating to diet, LOGGING YOUR WORKOUTS, sleep, beating your workouts, or perhaps procrastination of getting them done. What I would like each of you to do is post your bad habits/challenges below by creating YOUR OWN TOPIC. You can post updates below and have your own space. I will check in mid month and then again at the end of the month. If you miss a day or two, just keep on rolling. Part of the challenge is also staying focused and reset every single day. Remember that the focus is on the process.

Well, I could have probably listed 6 or 7, but went with 3 instead :-).

1) complete all workouts as written by prioritizing them each day, so I don't run out of "time". This past week was a classic example with the kids being on spring break. I ended up swimming 3 days in a row ... Needless to say, my upper body was torched. I am starting to get back to the early morning workouts if it is a day when I have two different sessions to do, one is already done before anyone has woken up!

2) log all of my training on TP. I currently log my workouts elsewhere but need to make the effort, so I can see a pattern and Blake knows where I am at. This is important for me to do. Blake is phenomenal about communication. I need to do my part so he can coach me effectively by letting him know how each training session went, what my sleep is like, etc.

3) Not be on the go ALL the time. I need to make sure I take some down time to relax and just BE. This is hard for me to do ... It seems like I always have "something" that I HAVE to do or somewhere that I NEED to be. I am truly going to make a conscious effort in the month of April to do this. Things can wait, and slowing down and appreciating life is something that I need to embrace more.

Tonight, I'm planning out my week, to get my training sessions prioritized and figure out what I need to accomplish on the work front. We have the Chasing Chad spin-a-thon for brain tumor research on Saturday at the club, so I have quite a bit to accomplish before then. Let the lists begin ;-). There definitely WILL be time to just BE this week as well.

This week I will get to see my Oncologist, Dr. Mark Burkard (a/k/a Marky Mark) twice. The first time, is for fun :-). He will be speaking at the Komen Pink Ribbon Celebration dinner. It'll be good to see him there as well as all of the ladies at Komen. Miss them. On Friday, I have my 6 month check up with him. Always makes me a little nervous, but you can't worry about what you can't control right? I truly appreciate him as my Oncologist. He hasn't ever made me feel silly for the questions I ask and always takes as much time as needs to be taken with my appointment. That leads into yet another good thing that has come from cancer ... I am a much better at waiting in the waiting room. I have come to realize and appreciate that every patient is just as important as I am and they may have a lot of questions or issues that they are dealing with and need to be addressed. It's one of those things that I cannot control, so why stress about it.

I still remember when I was going through treatment and waiting in the chemo waiting area ... we were on about hour 1 of waiting for my name to be called. It's always busy there which makes me sad :-(. My dear friend Terri was kind enough to hang with me that day. Well, we started calling people out like they were on the Price Is Right when their names got called. It definitely lightened the mood and everyone got a good laugh. After waiting for over two hours, yes two hours, we were happy when we got called to "come on down" because at that point I knew my drugs were ready to go, and we would be one treatment closer to being done :-).

Exciting stuff after my appointment with Marky Mark ... I am going to meet my friend Dawn that started Effcansah and try on samples for my tri kit!! Saw the mock ups and they look pretty sweet! I will proudly be wearing it at all of my races this season, so look for the blue :-). All of the proceeds of the swag that is on her site (www.effcansah.com) go directly to Marky Mark's breast cancer research. Dawn is a survivor as well and is a patient of his too. small world huh? We will hopefully be having Team IronMichele Wilkinson/Effcansah shirts made for Ironman race day that will be able to be purchased on her site...I'll post more information once we get closer...they will be nice and bright so I can spot all of you out on the course that day :-).

I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday weekend! We were able to spend it up north with with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Barbie. It was fun to have her there with the 4 of us and get to experience the northwoods. Good times had by all :-). Back to reality. Make it a great week everyone and may it be filled with some fun and adventure. Remember, life is good. Enjoy it, love it and be kind to one another!!! Until next Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment