Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Goin' Out Boobs and Actually A Little Triathlon Talk:

So, I'll start with this (at times I get distracted, but do get back to my point in a round about way - so hang tight) ...I had my final post op appointment with my rockin' plastic surgeon Dr. Timothy King. It was funny, he walks in and looks at me like "are we good?" He asked how I was doing ... I asked if I could hug him because I was so happy!! I could see relief in his eyes. A little back story, in case you don't know the sequence of events...

Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September of 2008, I got breast implants... Best choice I had made at the time. They helped me find my cancer so I wouldn't change the decision ever. Anywho, after I was diagnosed and was in surgery for my bilateral mastectomy, the surgeon said my current implants "looked good" so he left the original ones in place...a win, win right? When people looked at me, it still looked like I had breasts, so it was good for a while. Fast forward 4 years. Those implants just kept feeling more and more uncomfortable as time passed...like a strange foreign body in my very own body. I was at my 10 year implant shelf life timeframe and had the option of reconstruction (I could replace the implants or remove them). I said, lets get rid of these bad boys....Dr. King said it was not normal for women that are 43 to want to remove what would be some sort of a shape...I said "I am not your normal patient." He said, OKAY, and we scheduled the surgery.

Surgery day...Tuesday, November 6th...Brendon (the hubcap) and one of my dearest friends ever, Terri, and also now a breast cancer survivor too (I tear up thinking about her having to go through this) and my Mom came that day to help me say goodbye to the "foobs" forever...everyone was amazing getting me ready to go in pre op, a lot of laughing was had too :-). When I walked into the OR, I saw 8 people all masked up and ready for me...what do I do, I completely lose it and start sobbing...not because I was sad but because, it was finally happening, the relief of those "things" being gone, was finally here. Dr. King was nervous because he thought I was nervous (he wasn't expecting me to cry), I said, "no, I'm not nervous but this is a big thing happening today". He then did the sweetest, most caring and nicest thing a surgeon could do... he held my hand until I was under. So kind. Couldn't ask for anything more. Recovered like a rockstar and was back at it full strength after 2.5 weeks :-).

Back to the final post op. He was so happy that I was happy, and he said that I had really recovered so quickly (I made a conscious effort to be in the best shape I could be in before surgery to aide in my recovery - I am doing the same for Ironman). After the business was taken care of, we got to Ironman...he is going to come out and watch!!! So fun...I hope to see a lot of you out there, not just for me but to see all of the hard work that every one of these athletes put into getting ready for this one day...just incredible!!!

I left the appointment thinking, I am streamlined and ready to rock....I headed to UW Hospital (my home away from home for a year) for my prosthetics or "goin' out boobs" fitting. I think I chose a nice size for me...tried them on...they were silly...don't think I will really wear them (I can still rock it boobless), but I get two "sets" a year through my insurance so wanted to give it a shot. We did have the discussion of swimming with them...you can get special prosthetics for swimming...REALLY?!?! Unless I am in a bikini, there will be no extra weight included in my suit...FYI, there are NO good mastectomy bikini's out there....maybe a new business venture for me??? If anyone knows of anyone that could help out with this venture, please message me :-)

Now back to the reason you are all here, triathlon training...swimming mojo is back, new swim caps for variety from Terri made me happy, and the sushi suit in place...I am officially streamlined and ready to go...Now to work on my efficiency...stroke analysis with Blake (coach) in January to help get me there. Can I shave 10 minutes off my Ironman swim time??? That is the goal :-)...as well as increase the bike speed, and the run speed too. My other issue, nutrition. So many things to work on, but a lot of time to get there (again looking forward to working with Blake to help me - and I know I have to do the work, but the guidance and mentoring, I think will be key for me). I do have a time goal, but as of now, I am keeping that one on the down low. As I progress, maybe I will share :-).

That said, I think I have mentioned that I can't wait to get started...well, I can't :-). Enjoy the night and fingers crossed that there is a snow day tomorrow!!

8 comments:

  1. What strikes me about this post and your procedure is that ultimately, we're all just striving to be our true selves, in the skin in which we feel most comfortable and most congruent. Whether that means having implants removed, or the reverse. :) I'm so glad you made the choice that fit you and I look forward to reading about your training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teagan - you are so right!!! Thanks for coming along for the ride :-)

      Delete
  2. You rock lady! You amaze me in so many ways! I will be out there looking for you on IM day no doubt! You will do awesome because your attitude toward life is awesome! I look forward to your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Can't wait to ride with you this summer!!

      Delete
  3. We love you guys and you better save us a slice at the finish line. We'll be there, just a little later than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you and Jenny too! Looking forward to being out there with the two of you on 9/8!!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to reading about your journey Michele, even when I move to Illinois!!

    ReplyDelete