Friday, December 21, 2012

It's Real...GULP...

Well, I just opened up my Training Peaks account and saw the first two weeks that have been planned out for me!!! I read, and re-read, and read again, the training plans for each day partially because I didn't understand what he was talking about, partially because it is now real, AND I needed to have what he was telling me to do to sink into this melon of mine ;-). My brain still does not work the same even after being done with chemo for 3 years. Who knows if it ever will, :-), but it is what it is right? I just hope I'm not too much of a PITA (pain in the ass) with questions. It's newer lingo to this triathlete. In the past, when my plan said to run for an hour, I ran for an hour. Swim 4000 yards, I would do just that...this is specific and a bit out of my comfort zone...Brendon (hubcap) laughed and said, "Is he aware that you don't like to be told what to do?" My response, I don't think so but this is what I have hired him for, to get me out of my comfort zone and to help me reach my goals. He may be a LITTLE right on me not enjoying being told what to do ;-). This Ironman experience will definitely be a new one for me.

In 2010, my Ironman journey was completely different. The goals were to finish (which I did in 16:05:53), raise as much money as I could for Susan G. Komen through the Janus Charity Challenge (I did, almost $25,000 actually), to complete the event with Brendon (we did and had a couple of CLOSE drafting calls on the bike to prove it as well as A LOT of time to talk on the "run"), and to give cancer a swift kick in the a$$ (did that too)!! This time, I am still giving cancer a kick in the a$$ but the goal, the purpose, is different and I am excited for it.

I am embracing this last week of having my own training schedule and having a little fun with it...I definitely will have fun with the new training plan, and have already recruited two people to run with me and to go with what Blake has set out for me/us on a given run day. The bike, I can hopefully incorporate rides at Michael's Cycles, learn to embrace the bike trainer, make it up for some indoor team rides, and incorporate some of my sessions into a spin ride for class :-). Can't wait to be able to ride outside again!!! The swim, that'll be all good.

Just got home after finishing out my work week with a great run with two of my small group class peeps, and a fun but challenging spin. This afternoon, a glass of wine at Milwaukee Grill with a good friend, then a double date for dinner. I think, an awesome way to start off the weekend! And if I hadn't procrastinated, there would be a pedicure thrown in there too :-).

Enjoy the beautiful wintery day...we have snow, FINALLY! :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment