Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Hodge Podge...Training, Incentive, Loss, Dad and Miscellaneous...

I put my original post out there this morning, but pulled it down. For some reason, it just didn't feel right. The day started out well....I had an amazing lunch and conversation with a friend of mine. It was one of those days, that if I didn't have other things planned, I could have stayed and talked all afternoon. After lunch, I headed to see my Dad... I am always a bit apprehensive when I go to see him as I don't ever know what I am going to get. It was day two of seeing him and yesterday was as good as it could ever be with him. Today was more of the same. He laughed, he knew who I was, the family, was tracking pretty well and was animated...I haven't seen that in a long time...I cried right there in his room...we had a great hug and I told him how much I loved him. I know one day this will end, so I am embracing the great days when the come.

When I left my Dad's, I got some really sad news. My childhood friend, high school soccer teammate and breast cancer mentor passed away this afternoon. My heart is broken for her family...none of this makes any sense to me, and I don't think it ever will. We all know our time is limited...it makes me think a lot harder about what I am doing with this life and how I want to live it. I do know that I want to make the most of it.

Here is part of my original post...some of it may seem trivial...but some of it isn't :-).

The past week was good, ending on a high note. My Sunday started with a 60 minute run with some of the running buds. Happy to report that, it went well! You know when you are working and the conversation becomes short fragmented sentences :-). Came home and got the house cleaned!!!! Finally tackled it and am so happy to have this done. I still don't like to do it and I haven't ever claimed to be good at it either. The hubcap and kiddos definitely helped make this happen :-).

That evening, I headed up to Madison to go to the Team BBMC kickoff party. Had a great time and was able to meet some of the group. Such an awesome bunch of people. Looking forward to training and "racing" with them. It's going to be a really fun season!! It definitely helped spark the training fire even further.

This week is a recovery week...recovery weeks are good :-). Yesterday, a 40 minute swim...AND, guess what...I was able to pretty much figure out the flip turn!! (Still have work to do, but hey, i did it!!). Haven't done one of those since I was on the swim team at 10 years old!!!! Can you tell I am excited!! Yes, these are the things that make me happy. A short run after the schwimmy. I forgot my HRM...again, should have had that thing implanted in me ;-).

The day finished off with the Gill's for Gilda swim meeting. I will be swimming across Lake Mendota with 11 other swimmers on June 21st to raise funds for Gilda's Club. It's going to be an amazing day...we will swim from the NauTiGal to the Union...about a 10k swim!!! How is that for a productive Friday?!?! Can you say "tasty beer" when we are all done?!?!

I am just so happy to be able to tackle Ironman again...hiring Blake, meeting new teammates, reconnecting with old friends and training with current friends and the hubcap really is what will make this season SO FUN!!! Also, with round 2 of ironman training, the chemo is completely out of my system (yay for that) and I will be training with only on one cancer fighting drug. I'm looking forward to see what my body can accomplish. It's going to be an interesting nine months, another journey. I have goals for myself, and my incentive to do as well as I can, isn't only for me, but for those that are still in the cancer fight, for those that haven't made it, and for those who have won the battle. I know they will DEFINITELY all help me get through training and for sure on race day. I look back at where I was a little over 4 years ago, and think of where I am now. An incredible time to say the least, both good and bad, but part of what makes me, ME.

A new friend and I were talking a little bit about my cancer journey and I shared a news story that was done about me, my cancer journey and Ironman 2010. I hadn't watched it recently. Again, always brings tears to my eyes, and whenever I see it, it makes me grateful for my life, my health and that I have been able to inspire even just a few of you. If you didn't know my background, or part of the reason why I made the decision to tackle an Ironman in the first place...AND if you have 3ish minutes to spare, take a look...and check out those curls!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm86aod7S9Y

Enjoy the night...love life, embrace it and make your dreams come true.

1 comment:

  1. ergg, I can never open that link. I'd like to watch it again. Keep up the great attitude for these workouts and IM will be a breeze. Let me know if you need me to scold you to get out there when and if you ever feel like you just don't want to. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete