Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sick...and Slowing Down...

Yucka...well, I am officially sick. Frankly, I feel like a$$...hoping that some good rest and fluids will bring this mom triathlete back to her feet in the next day or two.

I should have known that when I went to do my run at the Tone Zone yesterday morning that things were taking a turn for the worse. Warmup segment of the run went pretty well, then when the HR cap portion of my run kicked in...the wheels fell off the bus. Had to do A LOT of walking and just started feeling punky.

After lunch, I pretty much separated myself from B and the kids. Not really an ideal way spend the rest of the weekend up at the cabin a/k/a the Stoned Loon Lodge (we have a giant rock in the front yard at the cabin and a lot of loons), but it is what it is and I need to keep everyone else healthy.

Hoping for some good rest on the ride home, tonight and tomorrow. Not really the way I was hoping to spend my birthday. Had a great day/evening planned...going to see how much rest I can get and if some or any of it will happen. I will check in with my coach in the morning and see what he has to say as far as what or if I should be doing anything that he has planned for me tomorrow.

What getting sick does (always try to find the upside in everything - that is the optimist in me) is that it reminds me that I need to SLOW down and take care of myself. For a while, I was so good at saying no and making time for myself to just "BE". I need to find that again. Life doesn't always need to move so fast. As of today, I am making a vow to take a breath, to set the phone down and not always be connected (don't laugh, I am going to make a genuine effort and need to do this). It will be hard to do as I am ALWAYS connected, but I will get used to it as will others. I need to stop being the proverbial hamster on the wheel. More isn't always better...

I can use the next couple of days to get caught up with work emails, and sit back and reevaluate the things I have committed to and make sure they really are good decisions. I have always been a people pleaser by nature (sometimes that is good and sometimes, it is bad). I don't want to ever let anyone down or upset anyone. I need to stop looking at it that way and at times be a little more, for a lack of a better word, selfish. Saying "no" to things that I know will stretch me too far IS ok to do.

I know training for an Ironman and slowing down don't really seem to be possible to put in the same sentence. It CAN be done and there WILL be balance and zen in my life...a work in progress right?? :-).

So....Here is to rest, health, happiness and balance in my 44th year :-). Hope you all have a great day tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment