Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Training Has Officially Started!!! And Swimsuits...AGAIN!!!

SOOOO, Training officially started this week. First day, Monday, December 31st...packed up the car and headed to the Eagle River YMCA .... No dice, they were closed... Fortunately for me, I was resourceful enough before we headed up north and found a gym that was in Eagle River. No pool, but I would take what I could get. The Tone Zone here we come! Got all checked in and found my treadmill...they even had a group fitness room for me to do my drills that were in the plan :-). It was a nice place and they have sweet Keiser spin bikes for those days I need to ride while we are in the north woods while it is still wintery out!!

Our New Years Eve evening was really nice...relatively quiet...I, of course did NOT make it to midnight. We went out in the lake with the neighbors for a crazy huge bonfire. Big fun, but a little scary. As soon as the flames went down, it got cold, so we went home and watched CNN's New Years Eve with Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper. Poor guy doesn't get a word in edgewise :-). I absolutely love that he laughs like a school girl at her jokes. Makes me smile. When that ended, this Chica was done...off to bed for me. Jack (my oldest) made it up later than I did, talking, yes actually talking on the phone, to his girlfriend until who knows what time.

Back to training...New Years Day. Took care of all of my strength work before most everyone got up. Sparky (my youngest and actually named Parker) was my timer for everything that I needed to do. Gotta love that girl! Got home later than we wanted to, but there was still time to watch part of the BIG GAME (bummer that it didn't go so well for them), or watch a little bit of the game if you were me. Got down to the lower level to get started on the bike ride, and what do I forget...heart rate monitor (I now need it for all of my bike and run schtuff). I should just wear that thing all the time...I keep forgetting about it. I have a bunch of them, so am going to start leaving one by my bike, by the treadmill, keep one in my gym bag and keep one in the bathroom so it is just there. Here is an idea...I should have had my surgeon implant a monitor in my body...that would have been perfect!! So, I toddled upstairs, came back down and off to riding I went. It was a challenging ride that's for sure (I love my bike, I love my bike, I love my bike). First trainer ride...EVER. I know, lame, but I have always either ridden outside or on a spin bike in past years...another new challenge for this chica!

Today, run and a swim...my friend Deb was nice enough to agree to do the run too. Great to have the company and fun to show her what I am doing. We got a few interesting looks while on the track with a couple of people asking WHAT EXACTLY we were doing. I said, I am doing as I am told. Can't believe that actually came out of my mouth ;-). I did find out that I am faster than I thought I was...the heart rate monitor doesn't lie and tells me when I can push harder than I think I can...damn technology ;-).

This afternoon, a swimmy was on deck. I was hoping to get to the pool by 1:00pm...um nope, didn't leave work until 1:30...then I had the discussion with myself. Do I go tonight while Sparky is at swim team or go early tomorrow...I convinced myself that I should JUST DO IT (nice Nike slogan huh) and I will be done for the day. There are several times I wanted to turn around on the way to the pool...I will explain this...in Milton/Janesville we do not have access to pools at anytime of the day that are 25 yarders. the pool at the club where I work is 18 yards and the one at the Y is 20 yards, so I go to Whitewater. Not a terrible trip by any means, but not really convenient either.

I get there, get into the pool area and finally get in the water...all was going well until I got to the 4
50 yard swims where you tie a bike tire tube around your ankles so you are unable to kick while swimming...I need to get a picture of it and post it as it is pretty interesting to see and funnier (at this point in training) to watch. Off I go with the first 50 of the set thinking, this cant be too bad can it??? First 25 went pretty well, second 25, um not so good...I kept feeling like my lower body was sinking and I'm sure I looked like I was flailing/struggling in the water. The lifeguard stuck close to me during those 4 sets :-). I did make all 4 sets of 50 yards and finish out the rest of my planned swim, but man, I need to work on that part!!!

And here is my random swimsuit sidebar...the suit that I wore last year with "foobs" still fits the same without them...mmmm...Frankly, I thought it would fit better, but no dice, just as tight as it was before...luckily it still fits, or there would be other things to discuss.

When I finished the swim, I was so happy to be done and gave myself a little pat on the back for making the trip :-). As training continues, the drive won't matter and I will be so used to being back at the pool that it'll be fun to go. Once I do get in the water, I always say to myself, why don't I swim more often? I won't have that problem now and will embrace the pool :-).

Looking forward to the remainder of the week and a fairly mellow weekend with a rest day thrown in :-). Sunday, swim analysis with coach Blake...we will see what I all need to work on. Should be fun!

Oh, and this has nothing to do with the sport of triathlon, but I have to share...I am a sharer If you all haven't figured that out yet. My son's girlfriend got him the cutest Christmas gift. A t-shirt that says Thing 1 on it...she got the other one that says Thing 2. Adorable if you ask me :-).

I cannot wait to get into my Jammie's tonight and SLEEP! Nite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment