Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rest, Training and Comparing...

Well, after officially getting told I have bronchitis and pneumonia, I have been sleeping A LOT!! Nap yesterday and in bed by 7:50...yes, 7:50. I think i was asleep by 8:00pm and slept like a rock until B's alarm went off this morning. This afternoon another nap. This bod apparently needs some rest. I do think the Z-PAC is working :-), so that is good. I am going to ride with the team this weekend...may have to modify, but I am excited and looking forward to it!!

I just checked my Training Peaks account and saw my next training block. Let's hope I can keep the sickness at bay and continue to get stronger. It should be interesting, a challenge AND fun all at the same time. Some of the lingo is still a bit of a mystery to me, so there will be a few emails sent out wondering what the heck he is talking about :-).

I do still vividly remember training for my last ironman, although at this time I was making up my own thing...swimming, biking and running twice a week with each discipline, doing whatever just to do some base building until the "meat" of the plan started...I am doing base building now, but with purpose and focus instead of just doing stuff just to do it, so it's a good thing. At this time three years ago I was also going to Madison 3 times a week for a class to help me drop the last of my chemo weight...had to love those 25 fabulous steroid induced pounds :-).

One of the really nice things about doing Ironman in 2010 was that Brendon and I didnt know a lot of other people doing the race (we knew some, but it was an "off" year for a lot of peeps), so there wasn't a lot of "comparing" as to who was doing what when, for how long and how hard they were working.

This year, I am excited about the upcoming race looking forward to training with my teammates, friends and hubcap. I am going to do my best to not get sucked into the "comparing of what everyone else is doing vortex". I will trust my coaches knowledge and plan that he is creating for me and won't worry about what my other teammates are doing as their plan is different than mine as well as not worrying about what other friends are doing for their training. Everyone has different strengths or weaknesses that makes all of our plans and training different from one another. I'm looking forward to embracing my own journey and hopefully have some friends to enjoy it with without concerning myself too much about what everyone else is up to...unless, of course, what they are doing happens to fall on a day that I need to do the same-ish thing, then hey, the more the merrier. :-)

It does crack me up when I see things about how bada$$ someone's workout is, and that ALL of their training sessions are bada$$. For me, it isn't always about being bada$$ or have worked the hardest. I like seeing the challenging workouts in my plan, but also LOVE seeing the easier, steady state runs, or the 1-2k choice swims :-). I have learned that there is a time and place for intensity, and that rest days are my friend.

This next week is a "recovery" week for me. It couldn't come at a better time with me being sick. The training sessions won't be as long or as challenging, except for those key workouts...I have gotten subs for all of my classes, so I can focus on my recovery, and just do the workouts that I need to accomplish for my training. I have A LOT of actual work to do too, so time at my desk is necessary and will be important to get all of my SCHTUFF done.

Tonight, kiddos have a play practice and B has to run (first week of his marathon training started), so I will enjoy a quiet hour and half of mellow time.

Enjoy the night everyone and tomorrow is Friday!!!! :-).

3 comments:

  1. So easy yo get caught up in the "competition ". Make sure you remember your stand on the subject. Glad you are taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri and remind me if I forget :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. This time of year for me is about base miles. Long and slow with great friends and conversation. A training plan is just that, a plan to be your best when you want to be. The body can't be at its peak forever. Rest days are your best friend without rest their is no recovery and without recovery your workouts are not as effective, you are just going through the motions and not giving your body time to repair and get stronger. It is one of the biggest mistake I see people make. Take a nap, put your feet up and relax. Enjoy the massage.

    ReplyDelete